Facebook Logo

Affiliates For Historic
And Museums

For more information on Historic Attractions & Museums in our Upper Cumberland Counties...


UCTA Map

Download this Map in PDF format, print and save!



Historic Attractions & Museums
in the Upper Cumberland Region


Discover the influences the Upper Cumberland's history has played in the world.
From pre-revolutionary to current events, come visit the museums and see the sites.Historical BannerIt all can be found the Upper Cumberland Region

Select your county »» CannonClayCumberlandDeKalbFentressJacksonMacon
OvertonPickettPutnumSmithVan BurenWarrenWhite


»Click on the historic sites below for more information!«

CANNON COUNTY

Cannon County History
Cannon County CourthouseCannon County was established by the Tennessee state legislature on January 31, 1836. It was formed from portions of Rutherford, Smith, and Warren Counties and was named for then Tennessee governor Newton Cannon.










CLAY COUNTY

Clay County History
Clay County, TN was formed from sections of Jackson County & Overton County, TN in 1870.

Jackson County gave up lands west from the Kentucky line in Cumberland County, KY, south along a line just east of Celina to the present Jackson County line, west to Macon County, then north to the Kentucky line in Monroe County, KY. Overton county gave up lands from the Kentucky line in Cumberland County, KY in a southeasterly arc back to the portion given up by Jackson County.

The county has been part of 3 states: North Carolina, Tennessee, and the northern portion was south of Walkers Line, which put this portion in Kentucky. It has been part of six counties: Davidson, Sumner, Smith, Jackson, and Overton Counties in Tennessee with the part that was south of Walkers line being in Cumberland County, Kentucky

Early life in Clay was based on farming and river transport via the Cumberland River. For many years, before modern day roads, the Cumberland River was the major form of transport in the Upper Cumberland, making the ports of Butlers Landing, Bennett Ferry and Celina major distribution hubs.
Clay County Courthouse
Clay County CourthouseThe Clay County Courthouse is one of the oldest courthouses in the state of Tennessee to be used for holding court. All the original records from the beginnings of the court system to the present are housed in the courthouse.

The courthouse was built as a part of the contract system in 1872 to build the public buildings for the new county seat, Celina. Completed on October 1, 1873, the courthouse was built by D. L. Dow of Cookeville at a cost of $9999. The bricks for the courthouse were made from the clay dirt taken from the public square, and the lumber was dressed by hand. In 1985 4-H club members removed the plaster from one of the original fireplaces and installed a poplar mantle so that the interior of the courtroom would resemble the original. The Clay County Courthouse is listed with the National Registry of Historical Buildings.
Cordell Hull Law Office & Museum
Coredell Hull Law office & museumThe Cordell Hull Law office has been moved many times, and changed from a three-room building to two. With the help of the State of Tennessee and Museum Committee, the building will be moved to a permanent location next to the museum on Brown Street. Plans for complete restoration have not been finalized. Milton C. Sidwell used the building in conjunction with Hull during the early years of Hull's practice.

Cordell Hull used the building as a law office in 1891. Hull was elected special judge by the Clay County Bar, then elected judge in April 1903. He was then appointed judge by Governor Frazier, and elected to the same position in August of the same year. He pursued a political move in 1892.

After a stint with the U.S. Army, he returned to Celina in 1901. He was elected to congressional terms from 1907-1921. Other accomplishments of Hull include:

Chairman of the National Democratic party from 1921-1923.

Hull served in the U.S. Senate 1931-33. –Appointed Secretary of State by President Roosevelt in 1933, and served in this position until Dec. 1, 1944 (a term longer than any other man). He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1945 for his work on the establishment of the United Nations. He Died on July 23, 1955.

Website: www.cordellhullmuseum.com

CUMBERLAND COUNTY

Cumberland Homestead Tower
Homestead TowerHomestead or “The Homesteads” is an area about four miles south of Crossville TN. The predominant building material is locally mined softly colored sandstone called “Crab Orchard stone”. There is a striking; consistent appearance of the buildings noticeable even to someone not looking for it, and that appearance is evident in the school and the nearby Cumberland Mountain State Park. Homestead was born in the New Deal under Franklin Roosevelt. After he was elected President in 1932, he implemented this program to help families during the Great Depression. It provided homes to 256 families of Cumberland County and created jobs for other residents who built roads, worked in the stone quarries, and who constructed the homes

In the base of the Homestead Tower is a small museum with historical items from the Homestead community. The museum displays different types of furniture and appliances a Homestead house in the 1930′s would have contained, as well as photographs and memorabilia. Walking through the Homestead Tower Museum is like taking a walk back in time 70 years.

The Homestead Tower and Museum is open from 1 April through 1 December. Hours are: Mon. – Sat. 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. & Sun. from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. For safety reasons, visitors are not allowed to climb to the top of the Tower during thunderstorms.

96 Hwy 68
Crossville, TN 38572
Phone: 931-456-9663
Email:
Website: www.cumberlandhomesteads.org

Military Memorial Museum
Military MuseumThe Museum is located in the restored 2nd Cumberland County Courthouse. The Museum features displays and artifacts associated with Cumberland County’s involvement in military conflicts beginning with the War Between the States. There are exhibits of general interest from all American fought wars, including the Iraq. All of the items are donations from soldiers, airmen, marines and sailors living in the Upper Cumberland.

Learn all about our heroes, see their uniforms, photos, and hear the music that will take you back to that time. Artifacts from the WW II P.O.W. camp that was here in Crossville are also on display.

Admission is free, but donations are accepted.
We are open weekdays 9:00 am till 4:00 pm (closed on snow days-when schools are closed)
We will consider other hours for group tours

20 South Main St.
Crossville, Tennessee 37555
Phone: 931-456-5520
Website: www.museum.homestead.com/Military.html

4-H POW Camp/Camp Crossville
4-H POW CampOpened in November 1942, one of the first prisoner of war camps during World War II, Camp Crossville housed over 1,500 German and Italian prisoners of war. Designated for officers, the camp held General Pietro Gazzeri, one of the Italian Army's highest ranking officers. Also housed here were German officers of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel's famed Afrika Corps. Camp Crossville was located on the Cumberland Plateau, nine miles west of Crossville on the site of the Civilian Conservation Corps camp. It closed in December 1945. A Tennessee Historic Marker is located on POW Camp Road outside the Camp Crossville site that is currently an exclusive home to a University of Tennessee

4-H Center Drive
Crossville, Tennessee 38572
Phone: 931-788-2288

The Crossville Depot
Built in 1900, the Crossville Depot replaced a boxcar that was used temporarily until the building was complete. Medal of Honor winner Sergeant Alvin C. York departed and returned from the Crossville Depot during World War I, and later, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt who was here to visit the Cumberland Homesteads “New Deal” project. The Depot was featured in a famous scene from the movie Sergeant York. The railroad stopped running and tracks were removed in Cumberland County in the early 1980s, and in 1996 the Depot was renovated as a community project by the Rotary Clubs of Cumberland County. Currently, the Depot is a gift and coffee shop, and meeting facility.

169 North Main Street
Crossville, TN 38555
Phone: 931-456-2586

Cumberland Mountain School
Cumberland Mountain SchoolCumberland Mountain School was founded in 1921 by Reverend Robert Hershey on behalf of young persons who were unable to obtain the opportunity for education. Many students paid for their education by helping cultivate, grow and harvest farm crops that were eaten at the school or sold. Six historic structures remain, including the Susie Gray Hall that served as the girl’s dormitory and the original library. As public schools became more prevalent, the school closed in 1938. It was listed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1983. A historic marker is mounted on a large cut Crab Orchard stone along the Old Jamestown Highway. The buildings and grounds served for several years as a campground of the Tennessee Conference of the Untied Methodist Church and is currently a satellite office for the Upper Cumberland Human Resource Agency.

113 Old Jamestown Highway
Crossville
Phone: 931-707-1077

DCI Stone Building & Gift Shop
Previously Tennessee Highway Patrol Building located in Downtown Crossville is a gift shop and stone museum dedicated to local stone industry history. Listed on the National Register of Historic Properties

Main Street
Crossville, TN 38555
Phone: 931-787-1324

Pioneer Hall
Pioneer Hall Museum is a museum of local history with exhibits representative of the lifestyle of early Pleasant Hill and surrounding Cumberland County, which includes a country store, country kitchen dormitory rooms, crafts and two large galleries. Many of the exhibits share with you memories of Pleasant Hill Academy which was established in 1884 and closed in 1947. Pioneer Hall was the first dormitory of the Academy and built in 1887. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

P.O. Box 264
Pleasant Hill, TN
Phone: 931-277-3872 or 931-277-3051

Palace Theatre
Palace TheaterThe Palace Theatre opened in November of 1938 and played an important part in the lives of many people and the community. The Palace closed in 1978, but reopened in 2001 fully restored and is now a multi-use community auditorium and visitors’ center. Originally, the Palace was intended to be an entertainment center and they have stayed true to that historic vision, featuring live entertainment in variety of musical styles. They host concerts of Jazz, Blues, Country, Bluegrass and Rock just to name a few.

72 South Main Street
Crossville, Tennessee 38555
Phone: 931-484-6133
Website: www.palacetheatre-crossville.com

DEKALB COUNTY

Liberty Historic District
Liberty High SchoolThe Liberty Historic District is a historic district in DeKalb County. Much of Main Street in Liberty is included in an historic district listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Properties in the historic district include the Liberty High School, built from limestone quarried in the area, and the Salem Baptist Church and cemetery.

Liberty was settled about 1797 by Adam Dale, an American Revolutionary War veteran from Maryland who built a mill on Smith Fork Creek.

See more images - HERE


FENTRESS COUNTY

Sgt. Alvin C. York State Historic Park
Alvin C. York Grist MillThe Sgt. Alvin C. York State Historic Park, located in Pall Mall, pays tribute to Sgt. Alvin C. York, the backwoods marksman from the mountains of Tennessee who became one of the most decorated soldiers of World War I. York’s fame rose from his legendary exploits on October 8, 1918 in the Argonne Forest in France. Leading a small patrol, York was sent out to eliminate flanking machine gun fire that was halting the advance of his regiment. York found himself alone opposing a German machine gun unit. With rifle and pistol he engaged the enemy. The fight ended with more than twenty Germans dead. Then, the other one hundred and thirty-two soldiers, including four officers and thirty-five machine guns, became discouraged and surrendered to York and six of his comrades. For that he was decorated with a dozen metals, including the Congressional Medal of Honor and the French Croix de Guerre. He has been honored by a 10-foot statue on the grounds of the State Capitol in Nashville, and his medals and trophies may be seen at the Tennessee State Museum. The historic park includes the York family farm and the grist mill he operated for many years on the banks of the Wolf River.

The farm and grist mill are located on Highway 127, about seven miles north of Jamestown. Store Hours: Closed every Sunday from Oct. 25 through March 14 (daylight savings time begins).

Beginning the day after Veteran’s Day, the store will be open Thurs., Fri. and Sat. only until Christmas in the Valley. The store will be closed from Dec. 13 – March 11.

Directions: From I-40, take Route 127 North to Pall Mall, TN the Park is located on Hwy. 127, just eight miles from the Tennessee/Kentucky border.

See more images - HERE

Highway 127
Pall Mall, TN 38577
Phone: 931-347-2664
Websites: www.sgtyork.org
or visit www.yorkgeneralstore.blogspot.com
E-Mail: sypfdirector@gmail.com

Historic Rugby
CommissonaryTime stands still at Rugby, Tennessee – the restored Victorian village founded in 1880 by British author and social reformer, Thomas Hughes. It was to be a cooperative, class-free, agricultural community for younger sons of English gentry and others wishing to start life anew in America. At its peak in the mid-1880s, some 300 people lived in the colony. More than 65 buildings of Victorian design graced the townscape on East Tennessee’s beautiful Cumberland Plateau. This would-be Utopia survives today as both a living community and a fascinating public historic site, unspoiled by modern development. Twenty original buildings still stand, nestled between the Big South Fork National Recreation Area and the Rugby State Natural Area, surrounded by rugged river gorges and historic trails.

Historic Rugby has been open to the public since 1966 and is nationally recognized by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and many others as one of the most authentically restored and preserved communities in America.

There are special activities throughout the year!

The Rebecca Johnson Theatre & Rugby Visitor Centre features a full wall mural depicting Rugby’s 1880s heyday, and the award-winning 22-minute Rugby history film, The Power of a Dream. The theatre will host special activities throughout the year. For more information, contact Historic Rugby at 1-888-214-3400, email or visit website for lodging reservations, events and workshop information, group visits, and details about protected building lots are for sale.

See more images - HERE

5517 Rugby Hwy
Rugby, TN 37733
Tel.: 423-628-2441
Toll Free: 1-888-214-3400
Website: www.historicrugby.org
E-mail: info@historicrugby.org

JACKSON COUNTY

Granville Agriculture & History Museum, Sutton Homestead, Transportation Museum, and Pioneer Village
Granville History MuseumThe Granville Museum tells the story of the riverboat town of Granville. The museum contains a great pictorial display of every aspect of the history of Granville. Many historical items from local family homes, businesses, schools and the community are on display. The museum features a military, school and music room and a room with furnishings depicting a home in the early 1900′s.

The newest addition, the Agricultural Museum displays farm equipment donated to the museum by Jackson County farmers.

Visitors will also enjoy a ten minute DVD on the history of Granville. The museum also has a genealogy collection with many family records as well as cemetery documents of the Granville area.

Now open year round: Wednesday thru Saturday 12:00 noon – 3:00 pm

See more images - HERE

P. O. Box 26
Granville, TN 38564
Phone: 931-653-4151
Website: www.granvilletn.com

Historic Granville & Sutton's General Store
Sutton's General StoreJust a stone’s throw from the banks of the Cumberland River stands the Ben Sutton General Merchandise Store and Grocery. The T.B. (Ben) Sutton General Store dates back to 1870 when it was purchased by W. H. Ragland at the Chancery Court – Clerk and Master sale. On June 7, 1880, Ragland sold the store to A.S. Cooper and James Hargis for $100.00. For the next 45 years, the store was owned by the Cooper family primarily along with several other individuals at various times. In the 1890′s, it went by the name of Hargis & Son General Merchandise and Country Produce. In 1901, it changed to Shepherd & Cooper. In 1906, it was Cooper & Brown, and then B.F. Cooper General Merchandise. In May, 1925, B.F. Cooper sold the store to A.H. Willoughby, trustee, Bank of Granville. On May 7, 1925, Ben Sutton bought the store from Willoughby and became the most remembered store owner of our times. Sutton operated the store for over 45 years closing it shortly before his death. John Clemons operated the store for a short period in the early 1970′s before closing the store permanently. The store remained closed, becoming run down and in need of much repair and restoration.

Harold and Beverly Sutton, they fell in love with the old store, and on July 11, 2000, purchased the store and all its contents. The store was nearly in ruins and almost un-restorable.

After extensive renovation, in September, 2007, Harold and Beverly Sutton donated the store, contents, and property to the Granville Museum, Inc., in order that the store could once again be a viable part of society and operate within the community of Granville.

See more images - HERE

P. O. Box 26
Granville, TN 38564
Phone: 931-653-4151
Website: www.granvilletn.com

Jackson County Historical Museum
The museum houses books on genealogy, family history books, newspaper and magazine clippings, scrapbooks and family photograph albums. A Cemetery Book written by Larry Mabry lists all of the cemeteries in Jackson County and some genealogical information; this book is also in the Charles Ralph Holland Library.

105 W. Montpelier Ave.
Gainesboro, TN 38562
Website: www.townofgainesboro.com

Jackson County Archives & Veterns Hall
Jackson County Archives & Veterans Hall is located in the old jail building. We house all Court records ranging from 1801 - 1997. The hall is the first of its kind in Tennessee to display pictures of our county's Veterans. In addition to photos we have uniforms and memorabilia displayed in beautiful cases ranging from the Civil War through the Gulf War.

Hours: Tuesday and Friday from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm and on Saturday from 9:00am until 12:00 noon. Admission is free.

104 Short St.
Gainesboro, TN 38562
Website: www.townofgainesboro.com

MACON COUNTY

Historic Red Boiling Springs
Historic Red Boiling SpringsIn the 1840s Samuel Hare recognized the commercial potential and medicinal value of the area’s unusual boiling springs. He fenced the springs, built cabins, and developed the area as a “watering place.” Though Red Boiling Springs was a thriving community in the 1850s, the Civil War and land disputes halted development and resulted in the demolition of most of the community’s original buildings. In the 1880s New York businessman James F. O. Shaughnesy purchased 200 acres, including the boiling springs, and began to develop the area as a summer resort, which became famous for its mineral springs. At its peak in the 1920s and 1930s, the resort boasted nine hotels and more than a dozen boarding houses. In addition to the mineral treatments, the resort featured horseback riding, tennis, a dammed lake that served as a swimming pool, bowling alleys, and a dance hall. Three of the historic hotels remain and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Spring houses still feature five kinds of mineral water: white, red, and black, double and twist, and free-stone. Each has a distinctly different mineral composition related to rock formations in the Highland Rim area, and each is considered a cure for different ailments.

See more images - HERE
The Armour's Hotel
Armour's HotelThe Armour’s Red Boiling Springs Hotel is a two-story native brick structure built in 1924 by attorney John Smith and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was first called Smith’s Brick Hotel, being the first brick hotel structure in town. Later, and for most of its existence, it was known as the Counts Hotel. In 1991, Brenda and Bobby Thomas renamed the hotel of today. Unfortunately, throughout the years, the conditions had deteriorated slightly. The vision to preserve Red Boiling Springs’ history motivated the Thomas’ to purchase the hotel. Immediately beginning renovation of the building continued their efforts to help revitalize the healing tradition of the area for any year-round guest.

The Armour’s is now owned by Dennis and Debra Emery. They assumed ownership August 29, 2008, from Laban and Reba Hilton who owned and operated the hotel since 1999. Dennis and Debra have embarked on a complete refurbishment and redecoration of the hotel and invite you to come and share their home and see the improvements!

The Armour’s is the only facility known in the State of Tennessee that offers a mineral bathhouse, coupled with a steam bath and the availability of Certified Massage Therapists.

321 East Main Street
Red Boiling Springs, TN 37150
Phone: (615) 699-2180
E-Mail: armourshotel@yahoo.com
Website: www.armourshotel.com
The Donoho Hotel in Red Boiling Springs
The DonohoThe first hotel on the site was built by a man named Whitley in the early part of the 1900s and was called the Whitley house. One of the Whitley’s daughters later married a man called Donoho and they ran the second hotel built on the site. When Donoho died, Tennie, another of Whitley’s daughters, married B. W. Chitwood and they operated the hotel, built in 1914 that stands today. The Chitwoods sold to Ed Hagan in 1955, and much restoration was done to the building. The hotel sold again in 1970 and yet again in 1974 to the Walsh family. Ms. Walsh operated the hotel until 1993 when it was sold to Jeff and Talisa Cowden and children, Micah and Zachary. The hotel is presently owned by a family from Murfreesboro, Tennessee

500 East Main Street
Red Boiling Springs, TN 37150
Phone: 1-800-799-1705
Website: www.theDonohoHotel.com
E-Mail: donohohotel@bellsouth.net
The Thomas House in Red Boiling Springs
The Thomas HouseThe Thomas House is a cool and mysterious hideaway resting high atop a gently rolling hillside on the outer edge of Red Boiling Springs’ city limits. One of the city’s oldest and most beautiful landmarks, it has been a vital part of the community since 1890.

Originally named The Cloyd Hotel, a 30 room frame building was destroyed by fire just after the turn of the century. The Cloyd’s rebuilt the hotel, this time larger and more magnificent than before. The hotel now had 54 guest rooms, each with a European Water closet, a luxury that few hotels in the south had. There was at one time a bathhouse, an open-air bowling alley, a swimming pool, and a nine-hole golf course. Today the Thomas House is owned by the Cole family.

Visitors back then and today, enjoy a peaceful atmosphere when they revisit the past throughout this Victorian style hotel. Home-cooked meals are bountiful and served family-style in our spacious l50-seat dining room, and are often accompanied by live entertainment. After dinner, take a reminiscent stroll through our museum settings or simply relax on one of our two inviting verandas. With ample grounds for lawn games, a swimming pool in season and parks within walking distance, Red Boiling Springs is a perfect get-away retreat.

The Thomas House is open year round and guests and tourists are always welcome.

520 E Main St
Red Boiling Springs, TN 37150-2318
Phone: 615-699-3006
Website: www.thomashousehotel.com
E-mail: thomashouse@nctc.com

OVERTON COUNTY

Overton County History
LivingstonOverton County, Tennessee was formed in 1806 from Jackson County, Tennessee and Indian lands. The county was named for Andrew Jackson’s friend Judge John Overton, Judge of the State Supreme Court, and co-founder, with Andrew Jackson and James Winchester, of Memphis. In 1835 the county seat was moved from Monroe to Livingston. There was an election in 1835 to see if the people preferred Monroe or Livingston. Jesse Eldridge and ten others, who favored Monroe, started out to vote but stopped overnight in the Oakley community. Eldridge, who personally favored Livingston, arose early in the morning and released the horses of the others who favored Monroe. He then rode to Monroe and voted.

Overton County was originally a part of Davidson County and later Jackson County. In 1805 Moses Fisk surveyed the first village in what is now the community of Hilham. On September 12, 1806, the area of Overton County was established by the state legislature as a county. The Indian Territory that had been within, in which Cherokee Chief Nettle Carrier presided over, was conceded to Tennessee for use by the white man. Overton County, at one time, included part of the territory that eventually became Fentress, Clay, Pickett, and Putnam counties, and since many of the early records of these counties have been partially or entirely destroyed, the extant records of Overton County are important.
Overton County Courthouse
Overton County HistoryAlmost burned down in 1865 by a band of Confederate Guerrillas from Kentucky, the Overton County Courthouse records were saved and the building still stands, preserving the historic character of Livingston, Tennessee’s town square.

The original courthouse was burned by Captain John Francis and a band of Confederate guerillas from Kentucky in April of 1865. This senseless act so close to the end of the Civil War might have destroyed all early County Records had it not been for County Register of deeds James Richardson. Mr. Richardson had hidden the county deed books in the cellar of his home. A few record books in the offices of the County Clerk, the circuit Court Clerk and the clerk and master were also saved.

Court Square
Livingston, TN 38570
Phone: 800-876-7393
Website: http://www.overtonco.com


Overton County Heritage Museum
318 West Broad Street
Livingston TN, 38570
Phone: 931-403-0909
http://www.overtonmuseum.com
Alpine Institute
Founded by the Virginia minister John Dillard in 1821, Alpine Institute would be burned by both guerrilla fighters in the Civil War and shortly thereafter by the Klu Klux Klan. Years later, in 1880, the school was re-established by the future Tennessee governor, A.H Roberts, and developed into one of Tennessee’s most competitive rural schools.

Although the Alpine Institute’s main school building is gone, the Alpine Institute is well-maintained and still used for religious services. The school’s gymnasium serves as Alpine’s community center, and the manse is still in use as a residence. Other surviving structures include the shop building and a dairy barn. The gymnasium, church, and shop building were all built using the same type of native stone.

The is a very unassuming piece of Tennessee history amidst some of the state’s most beautiful scenery.

126 Campus Circle
Alpine, TN 38543
Phone: 931- 823-6627

PICKETT COUNTY

Cordell Hull Birthplace and State Historic Park
Cordell Hull CabinCordell Hull was Secretary of State during the Franklin Delano Roosevelt administration. He is considered the Father of the United Nations, and the Norwegian Nobel Committee presented the 1945 Nobel Prize for Peace to Hull in recognition of his work in the Western Hemispheres, for his International Trade Agreements, and for his efforts in establishing the United Nations.

Cordell Hull (October 2, 1871-July 23, 1955) was born in a log cabin in present day Pickett County, Tennessee. The cabin has been restored to what is believed to be its original conformation and is open for viewing.

A museum on the grounds houses photos, documents and artifacts from Secretary Hull’s life, including the Nobel Peace Prize.

In addition to the historic section of the park, there is a scenic trail to spectacular Bunkum Cave where Cordell Hull’s father made moonshine

1300 Cordell Hull Memorial Drive
Byrdstown, TN 38549
Telephone: (931) 864-3247
Website: www.friendsofcordellhull.org
E-Mail: robin.wooten@tn.gov

The Borderlands Foundation Museum
The Borderlands Exhibit is an interpretive exhibit detailing the people, events and places of local interest that occurred during the era of the American Civil War; a story of their families and descendants through the reconstruction of the union. On display are various artifacts of local interest on loan, along with photos and copies of letters, various maps and reference books.

The Travisville Affair - Located on Hwy. 200, 1.5 miles off Hwy. 127, 10 miles from Byrdstown. In the first military action in Tennessee during the Civil War, Union troops of the 12th Kentucky Calvary and the Home Guards of Houstonville Calvary attacked a Confederate encampment at Travisville on September 29, 1861. The 100 Confederate troops refused to surrender. After being fired upon and losing four men, the Confederates retreated into the surrounding hills.

Byrdstown-Pickett County Chamber of Commerce
1005 Livingston Hwy (Hwy 111)
Byrdstown, TN 38549
Telephone: (931) 864-7195
Website: dalehollow.com

PUTNAM COUNTY

Cookeville Children's Museum
Kiwanis Children's MuseumThe Upper Cumberland's only children discovery museum is a community-inspired museum, were we create meaningful learning experiences through the joy of play in hands-on exhibits and programs.

36 W. 2nd St.
Cookeville, TN 38501
Website: www.cookevillechildrensmuseum.com





Cookeville Depot Museum
Cookeville Depot MuseumThe Cookeville Depot Museum, which celebrated its 100 year anniversary in 2009, is a great treasure located right here in Cookeville! It is located at 116 W. Broad Street and is open Tuesday-Saturday from 10am-4pm with free admission.

The Depot Museum preserves the Cookeville, Tennessee Central Railroad station as a historic landmark. It houses mainly railroad artifacts and memorabilia, with an emphasis on the Tennessee Central Railroad; Their mission is to promote interest and pride in local heritage, particularly as it relates to the railroad; to encourage interest in the broad spectrum of railroading, both past and present; and to welcome the public in its quest for the information and experiences that it has to offer.

116 W. Broad St.
Cookeville, TN 38501
Phone: 931-528-8570
Website: www.cookeville-tn.org
E-Mail: depot@cookeville-tn.org
Cookeville History Museum
Cookeville History MuseumThe Cookeville History Museum opened its new location across from City Hall in the former Respiratory Home Care, Inc. building in April 2007. We are thrilled with our new location and look forward to having you come out and enjoy our community’s history exhibited in our new facility. We thank you for your interest and support of the Cookeville History Museum!

HOURS: Wednesday-Saturday, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
40 East Broad Street
Cookeville, TN 37501
Phone: 931-520-5455
Website: www.cookeville-tn.org
Email: historymuseum@cookeville-tn.org
Patton House Museum
It was a labor of love as those who will be visiting the Patton House Museum, featuring the Velma Thompson Doll Collection, will see as Putnam County’s newest museum formally opens to the public next weekend.

“All of these dolls represent a period of time in our history,” Melinda Swann said of the collection.

It’s been a long road, but one that has paid off for everyone involved and has gotten a number of people excited about the project.

The museum, nicknamed The Doll House, is set up at the house of Maurine Patton and features more than 2,000 dolls and doll furniture. It’s a place to reminisce, as there are old Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls, First Lady dolls, Barbie dolls — even a Barbie doll wedding party — and dolls from all over the world — from China, Scotland, Argentina and many others.

1656 W Broad St,
Cookeville
Phone: 931-528-8390

SMITH COUNTY

Smith County Heritage Museum
The Museum Operating hours are Wed. Fri. and Sat. from 10am to 2 pm.
Information will be provided as soon as available.
Smith County Courthouse Square
Smith County CourthouseCarthage’s historic courthouse square was the control center of a major Federal base from 1863 to 1865 in the fight to control the Upper Cumberland River region. When Union Gen. George Crook arrived in Carthage to stay in 1863, he commandeered the courthouse for his headquarters.

From here, Crook and subsequent commanders directed the work necessary for the construction of the earthworks on Battery Hill and organized excursions into the countryside. In June 1863, Col. William B. Stokes, 5th Tennessee Cavalry (US), replaced Crook and waged a determined war against the many partisan units in the region. In September 1864, Stokes asked permission to “clear the country” of Confederates so “to prevent them from bush whacking.

211 N. Main Street
Carthage, TN 37030

VAN BUREN COUNTY

Burritt College
Burritt CollegeThe college was established 1848 through the efforts of Elihu Burritt, a blacksmith who intended that the youth of this community should get the benefits of education denied to him. It closed its doors in 1939 as a result of the development of the public school system and improvement of communication facilities.

More information is available at the Chamber of Commerce in Spencer

379 Tennessee 30
Spencer, TN 38585
Phone: 931-946-7033

WARREN COUNTY

The Warren County Heritage Center & Museum
Located at 113 East Main Street, McMinnville, the Heritage Center and Museum is currently housing the official Bicentennial exhibit, “200 Years of Warren County in Pictures”, in its galleries. An array of photographs and artifacts that chronicle our local history are included in the display, as well as a tribute to local music legends Dottie West and Uncle Dave Macon.

A permanent exhibit of items related to W. S. Lively are on display in the Southern School of Photography Gallery in the Museum. Included is one of the life-sized portraits completed by Lively, as well as success stories from some of his students from around the world.

As well, Warren County Heritage Center and Museum is also home to Main Street Photography Post. Now in its eighth year, the Post meets Thursdays at 7 P.M. to learn photography as a career option. Classes, starting each December, are open to youth and adults.
Magness Library and Community House Cunningham
Magness LibraryThe Library is an 80 year old National Register building.  Its Genealogy and Tennessee History Room has an extensive collection of genealogy records and Tennessee History books and papers.  Brad Walker, the Director of Genealogy, is state certified in genealogy research and is especially knowledgeable about the families in Warren and surrounding counties.

118 W. Main St.
McMinnville, TN  37110
Phone: 931-473-2428
Story Line : 931-473-6778



Falcon Rest Mansion and Gardens
Falcon RestClay Faulkner — a leading Warren County, Tenn., manufacturer at turn of the last century — built a gracious Victorian residence for his wife and five children in 1896-97. The 10,000 sq. ft. Queen Anne mansion was located on a 144-acre tract just south of Faulkner’s Mountain City Woolen Mill, two and a half miles from McMinnville. Only five acres of the original 144 remain with the property, but the level corner lot with many towering trees forms an elegant setting for the Victorian mansion.

Mr. Faulkner’s mansion is the most outstanding example of late Victorian architecture remaining in the county. And it was built by a man whose family heritage and life’s work centered around water-driven mills, the foundation of the county’s 19th-century economy.

2645 Faulkner Springs Rd.
McMinnville, Tn. 37110
931-668-4444
Website: www.falconrest.com
The Black House
The Black HouseThe Black House at 301 W. Main Street in McMinnville was built in 1825 by early McMinnville settler Jesse Coffee in 1825. The name “Black House” comes from Thomas Black, a physician who purchased the house in 1874 and used it as an office until the early 1900s. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

Reservations only

Corner of West Main and High Streets
McMinnville, Tn. 37110
Phone: 931-668-5050


WHITE COUNTY

White County Historical Museums
White County ChamberInformation and brochures on all museums are available at:
Sparta White County Chamber of Commerce
16 West Bockman Way
Sparta, TN 38583
Phone: 931-836-3552
Website: www.sparta-chamber.net
E-mail: sparta-chamber@sparta-chamber.net







White County Heritage Museum
“Explore the Past and Discover the Heritage of the Highlands”.

With the rich heritage and history of White County, for many years the idea of creating a Heritage Museum lay dormant until spurred into action by the 2006 White County Bicentennial Committee.

After great public interest during the yearlong Bicentennial Celebration and the availability of the former White County Public Library building the museum’s location was determined. In September 2008, the White County Heritage Museum opened its doors under the direction of curators Bill and Peggie Hurteau.

The Heritage Museum is located in the Historic Downtown District of beautiful Sparta.

144 South Main
Sparta, TN 38583
Phone: 931-837-3900
Website: www.whitecountyheritagemuseum.org
Email: info@whitecountyheritagemuseum.org
Railroad Section House Museum
Discover the rich of coal, the “Black Gold” found deep within the earth at a very unique museum, in possibly the last remaining Section House within the State of Tennessee. The history of coal mining in Tennessee has been preserved with a treasure trove of artifacts and memorabilia.

9479 Crossville Hwy
Crossville, TN
Phone: 931-935-6463
The Rock House Shrine- Old Stage Stop
The Rock HouseThe Rock House Shrine, a famous stage coach stop and early American frontier home is located on scenic Hwy 70E 4-miles from Sparta along the old wilderness trail and historic “Broadway of America”. Built in 1835-1838 by Barlow Fisk, the Rock House served as a stopover for travelers going from frontier settlements in the West to more “civilized” areas along the Atlantic coast. Famous visitors to the Rock House include Andrew Jackson and James K. Polk, Presidents of the United States stopping on their way to Washington D.C., as well as Sam Houston and Frank Clement.

Entrusted to the Daughters of the American Revolution, (DAR), the Rock House is open Wed –Sat from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm or by appointment.

3663 Country Club Rd
Sparta, TN
Phone: 931-836-3552
White County Military Museum
White County Military MuseumLocated in the American Legion building off Liberty Square in downtown Sparta, the museum is honoring those who sacrificed for the freedom we cherish and hold dear.

5 Maple St.
Sparta, TN
Phone: 931-836-3595







Select your county »» CannonClayCumberlandDeKalbFentressJacksonMacon
OvertonPickettPutnumSmithVan BurenWarrenWhite